Can I just say that I don't like doing hard things? By hard I mean intimidating, not enjoyable, stressful or super challenging. I know, I know - no one does, right? But I've been really struggling lately with how often I should MAKE myself do hard things....or if I should just avoid them altogether.
A few examples: first of all, running. I've stated before that I really don't enjoy running at all, but it's so good for me. It's a challenge mentally and physically; it works out my brain and my body. But I just don't like it. In fact, I try my best to get out of it so often! If Nathan weren't my coach and my husband, I don't know that I'd still be running three times a week. So, do I keep doing it for the benefits that I see, or do I find something else I'd enjoy more.....or sit around.
Another example is meeting new people/calling them on the phone. I know that many of you think I'm quite social, but I really feel very sick when it comes to contacting people about things. I push it off as long as possible, and I feel like I am making no sense while I talk. The thing is, I put myself in many of those positions by volunteering to lead or organize events and groups. Why do I do it if I don't enjoy it? Or is it just something that I need to learn how to do....
Yet another example is researching and reading things that are important, but just not fun. I have 3 books lined-up that I'm supposed to be reading about church stuff, and I just started SCARLET. Whoops! And I always have a small (it really is small) pile on my dresser of things that I'm supposed to research so I can invest, or change, or do something for the future. I realized that many people are procrastinators when it comes to this stuff; but sometimes I just think, maybe I won't do it.
I think these feelings all stem from doing too many things that I didn't want to do during high school and early college. I did a LOT of GOOD things, but I didn't really enjoy all of them. Track, drama, singing, band, debate, high honors, Christian club, field hockey, etc....about half of those I either quite senior year or I try to completely block them out of my mind. By early college I was learning that I didn't have to say yes to everything people offered for me to do, and I felt a huge load of stress leave me.
But that same stress and pressure easily creeps up when I am faced with the decision about whether or not to do something hard - or something I don't want to do - even now, as an adult. I guess the difference is that I am doing these things not to make a grade or get into college, but to grow myself as a person. And I feel very lucky that I have such a wonderful life in which I do not have to juggle a lot of stressful and not-fun responsibilities- I have a husband who supports me in whatever, and the awesome job of being at home with my kids. So, I guess some of the time it helps me to say out loud that I don't WANT to do something, but I am still GOING to do it. Even mommies feel that way sometimes. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment