The weathermen finally got it right - it did snow in the South. There have been so many "chances of snow" - usually announced weeks in advance - and they rarely pan out to be anything. At least not anything that really counts as a snow. This time however, they were spot on. We have about 4 inches of "winter stuff" and probably more on the way. I can just imagine all the little Southern meteorologists doing the happy dance and singing, "We did it! We finally got it to snow!!" :)
I have to admit, I am excited. Now that I have children old enough to play outside in the snow, I have been wishing and even praying for a good dusting. Yes, this Pennsylvania girl "misses" it. Note the quotes, and realize what they do and do not mean. "Missing it" means that I miss making snow men, sledding, hot chocolate for a good reason and snuggling in at night while the snow flies down. One or even two days off of school for snow is quite fun, and it really is beautiful to watch.
"Missing" the snow does not include the following: shoveling, cold, wet snow stuff, cold, melting snow, school day make-ups, cold and eternal winters. Yuck. And, let me tell you - a Southern snowstorm is scary. Not because it is any worse weather wise, but because of one thing. Southerns! They don't know how to handle this stuff. The jokes about crazy store lines and no school for a few flakes are not funny; they are true. The fact that they knew this storm was coming does very little to help, because the South just isn't prepared for snow. Our city literally has 20-25 plows for the entire city; and I have NEVER seen a plow on our little side street. When winter weather isn't taken care of, even a tiny little inch of stuff can cause a big problem.
So, I am happy to remain a Yankee stuck in a Southern snowstorm. I will just stay home and relish this wonderful winter treat (my kids honestly think we are in a blizzard!) And, oh yes - P.S.: it's supposed to be 57 degrees on Sunday :)
No comments:
Post a Comment