There are many things that I choose to look past or just accept that others do not agree with me on. But, I do feel quite strongly about a few things, and I think it is ok for me to share that. I do not want to ever "offend" someone by sharing my convictions if "offend" means making them feel angry and like I offer no place to discuss their ideas too. But if "offend" means to share the truth and people don't want to believe it.....then, I do think that may happen sometimes.
Just in time for the presidential debates tonight, I ask you to simply THINK while you listen to what BOTH parties, sides, people, media, friends, co-workers, anyone who says anything about the "issues". The most important thing we can do is to seek the truth from both parties and vote according to our conscience. (and a side note - please vote! If you don't like either side, choose one or go 3rd party; otherwise, don't say anything until 2016.) One issue that is very near to my heart, because I feel that God is so clear on the subject, is "women's healthcare".
Hmm....now some of you may be wondering why women's healthcare would be an issue for me - am I not a woman? I sure am! And let me just tell you some healthcare issues that are VERY important to me:
- women's health from age 0-99
- pre prenatal care, prenatal care, deliver and postpartum care
- prenatal choices for women
- safe and confidential medical care for women of all ages and races
- screenings for cancers and other diseases that plague women
- counseling for family/life choices, etc
- etc
After that big list, I might even call myself a bit of a feminist :) But, there is one thing I cannot agree on with many people in the political realm; and that is a need for "women's healthcare". Who calls for this? Michelle Obama said it would be one of her goals for the next four years, if her husband was re-elected. There have been TV commercials that call for voters to remember that one side supports "women's healthcare" and the other does not. Vice President Biden said at the Democratic National Convention (and I paraphrase), "We need reform in women's healthcare. Women deserve the right to make choices about their bodies and control them." Can you see what this is all alluding to?
Women's healthcare does not mean they want to (necessarily) improve on healthcare for women. They want the right to choose. What do they want to choose? Whether or not they can have an abortion. What is an abortion? The termination of a pregnancy. What is a pregnancy? A fetus living inside a women's uterus. What is a fetus? A living human being with thoughts, feelings and a soul. If you don't agree with me on that one, you can ask two people - any doctor that has ever attended a pregnant woman (even an abortion clinician) OR a mother that has carried a child. From as early as four weeks, that child was real and alive in their bodies and their minds - it is a human being.
This is just one example of the truth that must be pulled out from under the politics and selfish schemes of humans. We have to understand what people mean when they use labels for their intiatives and goals. Please remember, I said this is important on for both sides - because honestly, I don't vote "parties" at all. I like to know what a personal truly thinks and believes. Take time to educate yourself before election day.
No comments:
Post a Comment