Monday, October 8, 2012

Saving Grace

Do you remember that old group called Point of Grace? (if you don't think they're old, you were probably born when I was :) Even though they had some interesting hair styles, and some cheesy song titles, I think their hearts were pure and they had some pretty good lyrics. Here is a chorus to one of their songs that I have been thinking about lately:

(Saving Grace)
It's all about saving Grace, it's all about living love
Being Jesus to those He came to save
Sharing life and giving our own away
It's all about serving God, it's all about saving Grace


"Grace" was a girl that was described earlier in the song; she had run away from home and needed loving hands to help her find her way. I believe the point of the song is to capture the reason why Christ came to earth, as well as the purpose for our lives as Christians. At my church, we have been discussing the very same idea - the "mission" that God has given us as his children. The idea that Christ's mission in life was to seek and save the lost - and that should be our main intent as well. There are many parts to this plan - and many different ways to do it. This realization really encouraged me, because I always wonder if I should be off in a foreign country sharing or if I should stay home and help moms in the US. The answer is yes - all of the above, with God's help and prayer.

But another part of this idea that I have just been thinking about over the past week or two, is the question of "who" we are supposed to share Christ - the Gospel - with? By asking this question I seem to infer that there are some who should not be shared with; and that is NOT true! It's everyone who needs Christ.....but my list can be so small sometimes. Obviously they have to be like me. I have to relate to them and they have to be - well - normal. They have to have kids, or want kids, or want to be married and be....like me. They can't be awkward or loud or annoying. They can't look weird or interrupt our dinners or family times. They can't be in the way.

Christ shared his love (the Gospel) with EVERYONE. But, it's interesting to note who he shared with the most often. The outcasts. The sick, the weary and the sinners. The women and men who did not smell good, who did not come at the proper time, and those who weren't necessarily looking for Christ. He looked for and found all of the "Graces" in His world. And I need to do that too. Please help me Lord.


(If you want to listen to any of the sermons from our series, go to www.harvestcharlotte.org )

No comments:

Post a Comment