Thursday, November 1, 2012

the Candy Man

Some of you may think I am referring to our dear Sam Chudnovsky, and still others may have our darling Ottis Barber in mind. Nope, I am referring to my own son - the NEW Candy Man - and his obsession with trick-or-treat candy.

I noticed a few weeks ago that this Halloween was going to be different than others, because both of my children were way more into getting candy than they have ever been. But even this year Lydia was more excited about dressing-up (who doesn't want to be Cinderella???!!!) and did not seem focused on the actual candy part. Luke, on the other hand, started asking multiple times a day when trick-or-treating was. We literally had a countdown on the calendar from T-48 hours.

Then it was finally the big day, the big hour, for our little dragon to go out and collect some candy. We went to the mall near us, and each and every piece of candy was examined and exclaimed over. He had to wait until we were in the car to eat a piece, but that didn't stop him from asking. :) Then he got to pick out two pieces of candy that night, and two more pieces the next day when he showed his daddy. And this was even before breakfast! When he met me at the church at lunch, I realized that he had six pieces of candy stuffed into his pockets...just to look at. ha ha!

For the rest of the day he carried his candy pail around, occasionally dumping out all of its contents to inspect and describe them in detail. He asked if he could have a piece of candy every five minutes or so, and when I told him to stop asking or he wouldn't have any after dinner, he switched to saying, "I really like how this candy looks. Do you like it mommy?" My personal favorite was when he stuck his whole face in the pail and said it really smelled good. :)

Then, finally, after dinner was completed he got to pick out one piece of candy. Of course he choose the largest thing - an orange tootsie pop. After he unwrapped it he commented, "Woah! It's huge!" and then started carefully licking it. When I asked him, "Buddy, what does that taste like?" He replied, " Strawberry-Mint!"

No comments:

Post a Comment