Tuesday, November 6, 2012

How Luke keeps a secret

On Friday it is Nathan's birthday. He has requested the usual - apple cheesecake and gumbo for his birthday "dinner", as well as a list of potential gifts.....if we feel so inclined. :) Let's just say that being an adult, and a parent, he doesn't really expect a lot in the area of big surprises. But hey, we try.

So a few weeks ago we bought the military style backpack he's been wanting. Luke, Lydia and I were all together, and I reminded them that it was a secret present for Daddy. Part of me thought that this was a useless cause because, really, what 2 year old can keep a secret? But, I also had the hope that Luke would just forget about it if I hid it.

Well, he didn't. A few days ago Nathan mentioned something about a bag or pack and Luke blurted out, "WE GOT YOU A BACKPACK!" Lydia freaked out and told him to be quiet, and Nathan said he hadn't heard what Luke said (in volume 10). Nathan was genuinely surprised, but you can only be surprised once on the same thing. Then a day or two ago Luke said again, quite randomly, "Daddy, we got you a backpack for your birthday! Oop....I forgot. It's a secret."

Tonight we were heading home from shopping to set-up birthday decorations and bake the cake, and Luke talked to Nathan on the phone. Right before he talked to him he told me, "I won't tell him about the party", and Lydia and I reminded him not to say anything. So he got on the phone and said, "I'm not going to tell you about your party."

He's just too cute to get mad at. But I can't speak for Lydia. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment