Sunday, February 3, 2013

Growing like Weeds!

I have always loved the book, "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" by Eric Carle. I feel like it is a perfect description of our lives right now.....at least for three of us in this family (well, technically four). Lydia, Luke, the baby and I eat and eat, sleep and sleep, grow and grow!!! (Poor Nathan does not have the excuse of growth spurts or pregnancy to rely on, so I will not comment on his eating patterns. :)

Since I am feeling better and well into the 2nd trimester I can't stop thinking about food. I try to eat healthy, but once I go through a piece of cheese, fruit, a yogurt, some pretzels, a drink, some veggies, some popcorn - I feel like the hungry caterpillar on Saturday, and I just go for broke and eat anything around! And yes, I do eventually get a tummy ache like the hungry caterpillar did too! The kids have also been eating huge amounts of food. They each eat their own full yogurt now, and the other day Luke asked for the carrot stick bag, and he just sat at the table eating carrots with thomas (hummus). I think they ask about food almost as much as I think about it. How convenient!

All that growing has also made us very tired! I am a pregnant woman with two other kids, so I feel no shame in taking naps or even just sitting on the couch to rest. I usually fall asleep before 10pm, which is early for me these days, and not even a good book can keep me awake. Luke has been taking naps and sleeping 11-12 hours every night, and Lydia always needs her 12 hours of sleep. They have both been telling me that they are tired around dinner time (a miracle!), and Luke asks to sleep in the car (shocking!) Tonight Lydia actually asked me to be put to bed first, before Luke, so she could go to sleep more quickly. I laughed in her face!

Thankfully for the kids, these are expected and good growth spurts. They have literally moved into their next clothing sizes (2T and 5T) over the past month, and we can see their legs getting longer. They are growing physically and mentally, and it's a joy to behold!

Unfortunately for me, this growth spurt must stop in 4 months. But then again, I will have to keep up my strength for nursing. Woo-hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment