When is the last time that you memorized something? Was it a name, an address, a scene from a movie, or a song? Even people who say they can't memorize things have, in all actuality, memorized quite a few things in life. Come on, you at least know your SS#, right? :)
Memorization is good for the brain - and for the soul. Here's an even better question - when was the last time you memorized a verse of scripture? Was it a week ago, or a year (like me)? Have you always thought that memorizing "Bible verses" was just for children, or perhaps you've been too nervous to even try?
Well, I am going to challenge myself to start memorizing more of God's word. I am starting with Romans 5:1-5. It is a passage that really encourages me at this point in my life. That's a good place to start; something that you can relate to right now. Although honestly, the more I read and memorize of the Bible, I think it speaks to me more intimately.
I have been struggling with some mental things lately, and I keep telling my friends that I always feel peace and relief when I read my Bible. Well, why not memorize it too? Then I'll have it wherever I go - and, it will start to mean more to me. It's so neat how God made our minds to be able to fixate on things; and the more we think about them, the more they affect us. Obviously this can be used in a bad way too, when we think on or consider negative things. But, on the flip-side, if we are thinking constantly about God's word, that will encourage us!
So go ahead and get started with something easy or familiar. A verse from Psalms or the gospels. Find a friend to ask you how it's going and challenge yourself - we do this to strengthen our faith.
No comments:
Post a Comment