Friday, May 6, 2011

The eater

Since birth, Luke has been called a "chubby" baby. There's nothing wrong with that, babies are cute when they're chubby. :) Even though he only weighed 6lb 12 oz, he DID have plumpy cheeks; and by the time he was one month old, he kind of resembled someone who had just had wisdom tooth surgery. I'm not being mean, just honest. :)


The funny thing is, Luke has never been very big. In the weight percentile at the doctor, he has never been over 50% - while his length has always been over 75%. This always caused me to laugh a little when EVERY SINGLE older person, and many friends and family as well, commented on his "big cheeks", his "rolls", or (my personal favorite) "your MaMa must be starving you! (sarcasm!!)" I've come to believe that most people just think babies, and especially boy babies, should be BIG. And they find joy in pointing it out - no harm done there. I actually got congratulated on my excellent feeding skills quite a few times. :)

In the past few months of crawling, cruising and stepping, Luke has quite literally thinned out. You can see it in his arms, legs and face. But that boy stills loves to eat. He never really did baby food (neither did Lydia); he has always preferred real food in chunks - and LOTS of it! Recently he has surpassed his sister in his eating abilities. Now, she is a picky 3 yr. old, but here's how our lunches go:  Luke eats 1/2 sandwich, a whole banana and crackers in less time than it takes her to eat 1/2 sandwich and a 1/2 banana. He is a pig. He just loves food - so much so, that he literally stuffs his mouth so full that he cannot fit any more in it. I mean, there are whole crackers or pieces of sandwich sticking out of his lips because they can't be pushed in. But I DON'T attempt to take them out...he will throw a fit, choke on all his food, and then I end-up giving it back to him anyways. Ahhh, boys.......

No comments:

Post a Comment