Monday, May 2, 2011

9/11 and 5/11

When I turned on the TV to find a PBS kids show this morning, I saw the headline "The Killing of Osama Bin Laden" I have to say that I first thought it said, "Obama". Then, after I recovered, I realized what I was reading. I will admit that I don't usually turn on the news or the Today Show very often...or ever...so to actually catch a snippet of breaking news as it happened was very unusual for me. And to watch something that was so historical and of far reaching importance, it really caused me to think. (Call me a history teacher - I know, I know!)

First of all, I was a bit taken aback by the headline. Why did it say the "killing" of Bin Laden? Obviously because there had been a specific mission sent to do just that, but it still seemed a bit harsh; almost unfeeling. Now I am not trying to say that I have been in any way "personally" affected by much of what has occurred since 9/11, concerning the War on Terrorism and other related events. And I know that there are many people out there who would feel differently from me for a variety of reasons.

But, I just have to stop and think about Osama Bin Laden as a person. A human being. He may have been a very very dark, evil, hateful man - but he was a human, none the less. He probably had a mother, or wife, or children who will miss him very much. He was born a helpless baby, just like the rest of us, and he experienced pain in his final minutes. I'm not really sure how right it is to "celebrate" death in the form of a party or riotous cheering. Death is very final, and we all have to face it one day.

Being a Christian, I also have to mourn over a man who died not knowing Christ. I believe I can know that pretty well by the fruits of Bin Laden's life. The Lord had Osama Bin Laden's days planned from the beginning of the world, as we read in scripture - but God also writes that He loves everyone that He has created. What would have happened if Bin Laden had come to know Jesus?

I also wonder what part this significant happening will play in the final days we read about in Revelation. Is the death of Osama Bin Laden, a leader of a terrorist group, anything more than a tiny speck on God's infinite time line? Will this event lead to other things that continue to hurl us toward the coming of Christ - or will we look back in 50 years with just a vague memory of this fateful day? I'm not sure.

I am thankful today for all our Armed Forces men and women who help to keep us safe. I am thankful for the Lord, who has a great plan for my life - and for the salvation of the world. I am thankful that, in a way, my little life in the US has not greatly changed by this major, historical event; and yet, I can still learn from this moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment