I love to eat - goodness, it is fun! And fresh, healthy foods taste soooo good in the summer! And they are at a great price! So, we've already started our summer dietary delights at the Hardenbrook household. :)
This past week we picked NC strawberries at Patterson Farm. They were a little hard to pick, but quite a few big red ones were available. I made freezer jam, a strawberry pie, and lots of fruit salad. YUMMY!!
I also got some blueberries and watermelon from Aldi's. Now, I know that these are not local fruits yet - but they are already at "summer prices", and I was pleasantly surprised. Both fruits were very sweet and the kids love them! Antioxidants and vitamins coming-up!
Our garden has been producing spinach and sugar snap peas - and they make a delicious salad! After visiting my friend Sarah, I was again reminded about how healthy, easy and cheap nice big salads are. They are truly a great addition to any meal. So I bought carrots, cucumbers, avocado, craisins, sunflower seeds, chow mein noodles, croutons, green onions - anything, you name it, you can have it on a salad. I love to create new combinations and I've never had a complaint from either child (or Nathan. :)
I also found a great new way to prepare corn on the cob. I got some from BiLo - which was OBVIOUSLY NOTHING LIKE PA CORN!!! - but, it wasn't bad. Following the directions from the new TOH, I husked them, basted them with butter, and grilled them on the grill. Delicious! And they looked so pretty too!
Now I am looking forward to picking blackberries and then blueberries over the next month and a half. Can't wait!!!


No comments:
Post a Comment