Well, I'm sorry that this blog is yet another story about nap time troubles. If you are a mom of young kids, you will understand and hopefully sympathize with me. Nap is a daily event at our house, and it's part of my daily "job." If I was a nurse I'd be telling stories about my patients all the time, or if I was a cook I'd be sharing recipes. Wait, I kind of am both of those too......:)
What I want to share is relevant for a few reasons. First of all because it's a new phase that Luke is going through, and some of you do care about what's going on in his little life. Secondly, it's pretty funny. And thirdly, as I said before, it's something that I think/hope other moms can relate to. I am very proud of myself that I can actually write this blog without feeling animosity toward my cute little Lukey. He is being very bad at nap times, but I am learning to just take it in stride. Maybe it's only taken me 4 years of nap times to be ok with a crazy napping stint every once in a while! Here's to hoping that's true!
So, the story:
Luke had been going down to nap and bedtime so sweetly over the fall and early winter. I have never had children that actually just laid down and went to sleep, without a peep. So I rejoiced in my good blessings! Then, about a month ago after I returned from East Asia, Luke began some nap time craziness.
First he just stopped sleeping at all for a few days straight. Let me take this moment to remind you that I lay him down almost every day, and around the same time, the same way and I make him stay in his crib for at least 1.5 hrs. So, nothing had really changed except that he was on a napping strike. Then, after a few days of resting-up again, and actually sleeping during nap time, he decided to employ some new tactics.
First, he began throwing all of his toys, blankets and books out of the crib. Great.....how many, if any, times should I go in and get them?
Next he began doing "tricks" in his bed - including somersaults and hanging on the crib rails - and then shouting, "wat me, Mommy! wat me!!" (watch me!) Lucky for us, we could view all of this through our video monitor.
Then he started the yelling, the crying, the asking to be done.....and finally - for the grand finale - he started crying FRANTICALLY about a crocodile that was coming to get him. He sounded genuinely frightened and when I went in to calm him down, he was just a mess! I reminded him that crocodiles live in the water, and that there was no water in his bedroom, and he replied with a sad, "ooooohhhhhhh!"
So, conclusion of the story - there isn't really one yet. Hopefully this is just a phase, and he's not dropping his nap altogether. He's not even two yet, gosh golly! And plus, he usually passes out after about an hour of his antics. That's not so bad....if I do say so myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment