Nathan and I are going on a two day, one night, getaway in Charleston. Check out the place:
https://www.middletonplace.org/
Yes, I am bragging. Yes, I am excited. And yes, I feel super-de-duper lucky to be going away with my wonderful hubby. We have made it through seven years of marital bliss, and quite honestly I think that we should go away for seven days on the seven year anniversary, eight days on the eight year, and so on and so forth. (I realize that we'd need a few months of vacation eventually, but they then we'd be retired anyways).
Not only is a wedding anniversary a wonderful and very important time to celebrate, but any time away for a husband and wife is good. VERY good. Now I know that not everyone can get away, even for one night. I totally get this; we have had times where we couldn't - there wasn't the extra money, we had a nursing infant, or life situations just didn't allow it. But, I have to say that as each year passes, I realize the important of getting away - even for a few hours - and I hope that I continue to get more and more opportunities to do so.
Do I hate my kids and want to get away from them? On the contrary - we will probably spend most of the time talking about them and wondering what they are doing. When people say they just couldn't be away from their kids for even one night, I begin to wonder what is more important to them; their marriage, or their children. Granted, I know that some people really are not vacationers or quality time people. Some couples really don't relish time to sleep in, eat a quiet dinner, see some new sights without having to take people pee five times in a hour..... I don't really understand it, but I know we're all made differently. :) Plus, my children sure won't be missing me (much). They are going to be spoiled at their grandparents and have a super fun sleepover, for ONE night. That's only one night of their lives that they are away from us. It'll be good for them - and for us.
If you think about it, going away one time a year, for one night is not very much at all. That's 364 nights that I spend sleeping right near my children. I remember telling Nathan that when we had Luke, I had spent literally a whole YEAR not being away from that kid for more than like 8 hours. That's intense. I readily acknowledge that it's our job as parents, and I'm prepared to do it. But I also think variety is fun for everyone, and time away always makes the heart grow fonder. Especially if that time is something special for a husband and wife to renew their interest, like and dare I say, even LOVE for each other.
At the expense of one or two nights away, a sure foundation for the family can be built. And that's why I think that we should actually spend more nights away....just the two of us. Maybe my parents need to move close by too. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment