I am writing this blog because someone asked me to. My first blog request - YEAH! I am famous!!! Ok, not really - maybe I just have a knack, or a weird passion, for organizing and getting rid of stuff. I have helped friends organize their pantries, clean out their playrooms and unpack their closets. I don't think I'm the best at it, but it seems to be something very few people enjoy. Wonder why? :)
If your house is in need of a little de-cluttering, may I offer you a few ideas of how to get the job done? Perhaps you will even enjoy it! Fall is wonderful time to go through your closets and stacks before the business of school really sets in, and especially before the holidays arrive. So, pick a room....or your entire house....and let's get started:
1. Decide on a reasonable cleaning goal for yourself. If you often over do it, then chose a closet or a small room to start with. If you are a procrastinator, gather up a little energy and assign yourself a bedroom every two or three days.
2. Start by getting rid of junk - anything that is literally trash, or broken (no - you won't fix it later), random pieces (unless you can reunite them with their game), or anything you just don't like anymore (stripes are back in, but not in pastels). This may be a huge part of your mess, so go to it! It's OK to throw out non-useful items. Really.
3. Now, go back through those same items...clothing, kitchen gadgets, toys, etc...and get rid of things that you haven't used/worn in a year or more. Yes, seriously. This is where most people get stuck. I hear it all the time, "But, I might use that one day." No, you won't. And IF by some miracle you did need twelve sets of plastic silverware or an XL t-shirt with mickey or three of the same toy, then you can go buy it again. It probably costs about half of what you paid for it ten years ago. :) There are obviously some exceptions to this rule; for example, holiday items or big one time usage things like roasting pans. I find most things that people save, they really don't miss when they get rid of them. Just try it!
** a note on adult clothing - if you aren't that size right now, and you aren't ACTIVELY working toward getting to that size, then you should get rid of those clothes. You can buy the cutest things in all sizes at Goodwill for a fraction of the mall prices, and you'll feel good in what you get. In a few months, you can also come back for more.
** a note on keepsakes, papers, etc - the rule for financial documents is 10 years. Put each year of receipts/bills in a shoe box and label with the date. Each year throw away the oldest box and add a new one. Done. As for keepsakes from your children - I really totally understand! - but you CAN'T keep them all. Do you think they'll want to sit for hours...I mean, days!... as an adult and go through a huge pile of them? NO- and it will overtake you in the process! What they WILL enjoy is seeing a great variety of pictures and school items and such, placed in a nicely labeled box or large folder, perhaps one for each year. If you have trouble, as I do, with throwing out those precious art "projects", put them all in a folder, and at the end of the month, go through them and find the most memorable or best. Pick a few and recycle the rest. Or send them to family. :)
4. If needed, do #3 again, with an honest friend.
5. Now, to the organizing. The goal of this step is to keep things that you use often in an accessible place, and to make it look cute in the process. You will need to invest in some useful organizing containers/shelves/etc. I usually use what I have, and even switch things around from one room to the next. If you don't have anything you can use, look at Goodwill or yardsales. People are always getting rid of baskets and bins. Bigger items may need to be pre-purchased, or MADE, in order to fit them into a large space. Think ahead as to what will work best for you and for your family. Each room/person may need a different approach. A few suggestions:
- shelves are great for kids' toys. They can see everything on them and you can also put all the little items into baskets, that will then slide onto the shelves.
- little organizing carts are great for papers, coloring items or even light movies because you can shut them into the drawers and no one sees them. Then you can use the top of the cart as a little table.
- look online for ideas on how to organize things like shoes, winter hats and gloves, etc. There are some great, cheap ideas out there that use daily items like shower curtains!
- remember, adding shelves in a closet (ie: height and depth) will open up a world of possibilities, and provide spaces to stick little things into. Also try hooks!
- label, label, label!
Lastly, take pride in your newly organized space! I feel like a total motivational speaker saying that, but it's true. I am so excited when I get some good cleaning done, I usually show Nathan first thing when he gets home. Then I take little peaks throughout the day to remind myself of how fine it looks. :) Enjoy your new found freedom in getting rid of what you don't need, and enjoying what God has given you. Remember, stuff is only temporal - there are many more important, eternal things out there. We should be thankful for any and all of the "stuff" that we have been given, and use it to glorify God.
No comments:
Post a Comment