Monday, June 27, 2011

Mr. Rogers ROCKS!

I have recently discovered that pbskids.org offers full-length videos of "Mr. Roger's Neighborhood" - and I love it! I feel so good about allowing Lydia (Luke won't sit to watch TV yet! :) to watch the whole thing - even when I'm in the shower and not around to "monitor" it. Here are a few awesome parts of the show:

- they actually SING! That's super cool....this always happened in the 50's - 70's, but now we just use canned music all of the time.
- there's lots of LEARNING going on - they show them how things are made, they do crafts, they explain words and ideas and jobs.
- there's REAL people - no cartoon characters that look super weird and have no relation to real life. Mr. Rogers meets real people, doing real jobs.
- CHARACTER and GOOD MORALS are stressed - caring, sharing, loving, accepting, etc. are all talked about so often! And a family is made-up of a mother that's a woman, a father that's a man, and girls and boys that will grow-up to be men and women. Imagine that!
- IT'S OLD - well, at least not super current and high tech. Did you know that all of the animals in the Land of Make Believe are actually voiced by Mr. Rogers? :) How cool.....and low-key. I appreciate this...it was good enough for me, and I think it's good enough for my kids.

Lydia just loves watching the shows, and there are so many to choose from. And guess what!? I enjoy it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment