Friday, July 29, 2011

A date with Luke

Today I got to take Luke out on a "date". My friend and I swap 2-3hrs of babysitting each week, so we can each have a little bit of time to be with only one child. I remember the days that I just wanted time to myself - ha ha, now time with one child is relaxing! :)

Anyways, I took Luke grocery shopping and he said "ah" (hi) to almost every person. It was precious! Then as we drove to the mall, I sang the LUKEY MAN song, and he bopped along in his car seat. It made me smile! When we got to the mall, I told him has was going to get a special juice; and I really think he understood what I was saying. We bought an apple juice at Chick-fil-A (you all know we're big spenders!) and then we sat on a bench and drank it.

He seriously thought he was the coolest thing EEEVVVEEERRR!!! He just kept sipping the juice out of the straw, and he'd get up and down off of the bench. Then he started dancing around to the mall music, and he would wave every once in a while to the older people who walked by. He was so happy - it really made me feel great; and I was thankful that I could take a few minutes to be with just him.

It's times like these that remind me how great it is to be a parent. Now that Luke is walking, and "talking" and understanding so much, we can actually relate....share experiences...and care for each other. It reminds me that there really are so many good experiences beyond the baby stage; and that creating a close relationship with my child is very hard - but very rewarding - work.

It was not a perfect experience - he threw a little fit when the juice was gone, and he bumped his head on the rides that I let him climb on (but did not put money into). But, all in all, it was a wonderful date with my little man. I can't wait for the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment