Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Apple Season

Every year since we've been married, Nathan and I have gone apple picking. The tradition started in at the Masonic Village in PA and has travelled to North Carolina with us. In general, I have found fresh produce and pick-your-own fruits to be harder to come by in NC. But, with the help of the handy dandy internet, I have gradually formed a list of places that we visit. (Plus, I have enlisted friends to come and do it with me!)

In June we pick blackberries, in July we pick blueberries in two places. I am still looking for a place to pick peaches in August. Then in September through October, apple season comes about! These Tar Heel hills sure do produce some awesome apples. In the past we have gone to Hendersonville to pick apples at one of the MANY apple farms. They also put on a huge apple fest during the first weekend of September; it's pretty neat for the kids.

This year we tried a new place called Apple Hill Orchard in Morganton, NC. I found it on a pick-your-own site (and FB). It was a good half an hour closer than the other places; and since this was the first year that Nathan did not come with us, I chose to venture somewhere new for the sake of time. It was a great experiment - Apple Hill Orchard provided a great setting, clean facilities, friendly service, and lovely apples! We got to pick four different kinds from the orchard, and there were others available for sale.

Needless to say, I have a ton of apples in my refrigerator. I have already made a bunch of applesauce with my Victorio strainer. We have also eaten apples galore - cut the "star way" for Lydia and Luke. As for baked goods, I have a list of things I want to/have made this fall:

- a new apple pie recipe from Taste of Home that was AMAZING! The crust, the topping, it was all great! Definitely a keeper!

- apple crisp with an oatmeal topping. This is not my favorite crisp recipe, but I used it at our mom's group at church. Everyone got to take one home to bake and enjoy!

- apple pie squares; another TOH recipe that I found two years ago and I love it! It's a bit tricky with the pastry, but it's worth the effort. So yummy....in fact, I'm going to eat some in a minute!

- I want to try a new recipe from Southern Living called cream cheese apple bundt cake. It has a carmel like icing drizzled over it and it looks divine!

- I have been requested by Nathan to make at least one apple cheesecake.....a delicious recipe with a sugar cookie like crust. I happened upon this recipe on an obscure internet site, and it's been amazing every year!

Any other apple ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment