My kids eat entirely too much junk food. And I really do try to care about/watch what they eat. I am not sure if this realization has come about because I have recently entered the world of "kids" activities, like AWANA and Sunday School Programs and birthday parties. Or perhaps because of my southern environment and the food surrounding it. But I do not like what my children have been eating lately, and I want it to stop!
Let me give you an example: When Lydia goes to a certain program, she gets a "dinner" there. I understand that it is a free program, and they probably need to stick to a budget. I understand that it is for a large number of children, and that their goal is to have kids eat something instead of nothing for dinner. But what I don't understand is why they have to serve a fried or super sugary main entree (waffles with literally a 1/2 cup of syrup, fried corn dogs, etc), and then add a cookie, cupcake or brownie and koolaid for a drink. Every week. (Some of you may be saying, "What's wrong with that? I would have loved it as a kid...." Well, you probably still do!)
Another example is how my kids are rewarded for things they accomplish in different classes or clubs. "Suckers" are given out like, well, candy, and there is always a treat during a break or a special edible award. I have been asked by cashiers since Luke was under one year old, if he wanted a lollipop. NO! HE DOESN'T! Seriously, the kid didn't even have teeth!
I started out thinking that this phenomenon of bad dietary health for children is just a Southern thing. I am not trying to offend any good Southerns who are reading this....we all make choices for our individual families, and I love many a good Southern culinary delight! But the food culture around here seems to be based on a very non-nutritional list of foods, and lots of dessert on top of that!
Then I started to realize that it's a nationwide kind of problem. I look at the commercials for fast food, I see the coupons for cookie packages, sugary juices and candy, and I realize this is happening everywhere. Hear me out - I have fed my kids some not too great things before. I have bought frozen dinners, fed them more than one dessert a day; I've even given my kids - gasp - non 100% juice before! I am not touting an extreme health food/all organic diet....at least not right away. But I am asking the question, "Why do we feed our children so much junk?" and "Why is it socially acceptable?"
There is a real need for quick meals, prepackaged food, etc. There is also a real need for nutrient dense foods and natural vitamins and minerals in our children's bodies! You are what you eat is so so true; and scientists are continually proving this fact! (good and bad!) The idea that children learn their eating habits from a very young age is also true; and I have literally seen Lydia ask for more sweets over the past few months, because she has been tasting them and eating them more.
Again, I am not saying that I think we should never feed our kids desserts or fried foods. I am very much of the mindset that balance is good....and a little treat now and then is ok too. But I have also realized that if I am not somewhat vigilant about putting healthy foods into my children, and monitoring what they eat, their diet can easily get out of control.
Did you know that opening a bag of baby carrots or pouring out some dried craisins is just as easy as opening a bag of chips? Did you know that cutting -up an apple or slicing cheese is just as filling as a bowl of cookies? Did you know that children who are filled-up with good foods are usually so full that they don't need a dessert? And that a sweet that has been promised and saved for a few days tastes all the more sweeter when you finally get to enjoy it!
No comments:
Post a Comment