Today I was part of something that I have never experienced before as a parent. A rip-roaring, good old fashioned TEMPER TANTRUM!!!
Let me immediately clarify by saying that my children have, of course, each had their own little issues with fits...not getting what they want....it's time to leave the park....you can't have that dessert...ect. But this was a gen-u-ine temper tantrum, with all the fixings. It included, but was not contained to,
- loud, roaring screams
- yelling "no, no!!!!"
- hitting
- arm flailing
- uncontrolled shaking
- red face
- gripping the banished toy in a death hold
- tears, snot, lots of drool
-a total time of more than 4 minutes straight
One of the biggest lessons I have learned as a parent, and am continuing to learn, is that I should never say, "my child won't (you fill in the blank). While it is ok to say, "I don't want to allow such behavior, or I want to work on this attitude", I have learned that I cannot pre-determine my children's will. Today was such a reminder to me of this lesson - and now I have something else to work on. :)
ps - this was Luke :)
No comments:
Post a Comment