This morning I woke-up with a plan in my head: I was going to can my first batch of anything; peach jam! I know you all think I'm just a domestic goddess....insert hysterical laughter here.....but, I have never tried to can anything on my own. My mom used to can everything - chow chow, butters, jams, fruit, veggies, applesauce. She is really cool. I remember eating the yummy things, but not exactly how they were processed.
Since we just went peach picking, I wanted to make jam. I had finally worked-up the nerve to do it, and then I realized that the canner that I thought I owned was a blancher. This would not work....so, I made a mad dash to Walmart at 9:30am this morning. I decided to get smaller jam jars too, because that's what I really wanted to put them in anyways (better for gifts and such). When I got home, and it was already after 10am - note: Nathan had to have dinner, get ready and leave for work by 11:45am, and I wanted his support in this venture - I was feeling rushed. I considered just putting it off again. Then I realized that I had gotten a box of the same large jars I already had! I lost it. I started crying and saying, "I can't do anything right! I'll never have anything canned!"
Poor Nathan, who was already slicing peaches to freeze, volunteered to go and return the jars with the kids. I made the dinner meal when they went, fully realizing that my dreams of canning jam this morning were out the window. Once I finally got over myself, I made a new plan to do it at nap time with Lydia as my helper. This turned out to be much more successful, once Luke FINALLY decided to go to sleep. I have to say, it was even fun. Lydia and I had a great time of cooking and bonding - and, we have 12 pints and 2 quarts of peach jam that has (I assume) sealed. Well, the little bit that we scraped out of the pot tasted great, so here's to hoping!
Quick side note - I actually don't really like jam or jelly. I usually have a bi-yearly craving for some of it on toast, and then half way through the toast I get sick of it. On the flip side, Nathan eats 6 PBJ's a week, and he LOVES homemade jam. Point made.
Anywho, after all of this canning drama, I think that I could do it again. I am actually going to have to, because my tiny freezer cannot handle anything more, and I still have applesauce to make this year. It will have to be canned. And, since I always think about how history is involved in life, I can at least say that whether or not my jam tastes ok and is sealed, my family will still eat this winter. I can't imagine being in a time where you had to salt, can, smoke or dry everything for survival; and that was after you grew it from a seed! Seriously folks, we have it pretty good! But I am thankful for this opportunity to make some quality food for my family.
Author's thanks: I would like to thank my friend Lezah for her late night call to lead me step-by-step through the process, my mother for all of her homemade goodies and influence in my life, my husband for putting-up with my craziness, Lydia for being my patient and talkative canning partner, and to Luke for liking peaches. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment