Thursday, July 26, 2012

i support chickfil-a . com

Well, I'm not quite sure how to start this entry, because I'm not really sure what to write at all. About a week ago I saw that a friend on FB posted something about not going to Chick-fil A anymore, and I assumed it had to do with chicken and cows or meat or something. After doing some quick research, I realized that it was a reference to a much larger issue - a statement that had been put out by Dan Cathy about his personal beliefs, as well as the values that Chick-fil A has been founded on.

I have to say that my first reaction was a bit of confusion; I didn't realize that so many people didn't know what CFA's values and business principles were. This is not meant to be snotty, but since it is closed on Sundays and they do promote family and Christian values in their advertising, children's toys and more, I thought that this was just how they were known to do business. Now that these principles have been labeled as intolerant and judgmental, it does make me wonder why this has become a big issue all of a sudden. I assume it is because the President of the company made the in-question remarks, and that does seem to represent a very large group of people. However, as it has been stated over and over again, it seems like CFA does not show intolerance or bigotry in their service or in their hiring. I've always felt it was a very communal and inclusive place to eat.

The OUTPOURING of comments and posts on FB and the internet show that this issue certainly is a point of interest in our nation. That's good. I'm glad it is because it's a very important issue. But the back and forth name calling or blaming from BOTH sides certainly doesn't seem to be the way to discuss something so important - and I'm not really sure that it has to do with chicken at all.

I will take a quote from a random person that I saw posting last night on FB, and ask, "What would Jesus do?" (She actually said, "This is NOT what Jesus would do.") Well, I think we can only make that assumption, since we can't know because we are not God, according to scripture and what Jesus and God have told us of themselves.
- I'm pretty sure that Jesus would say and show that he loves everyone. All the time and with great passion. (John 3:16-17)
- I'm pretty sure that Jesus would allow everyone to express their views, and He would also take time to teach the truth, in love and with authority. (John 14:6)
-I think - and I say with great trepidation - that perhaps, Jesus would not really care about the whole CFA issue in itself. I don't know, perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps he would march down and each chicken next Wednesday, August 1st.....but I kind of think if he did buy any, that He would take it to a place where people didn't agree with His teachings and each lunch with them. (the story of Zacchaeus, the calling of Matthew, the woman pouring oil over Jesus' feet)

I know the Lord wants us to stand-up for righteousness and support our brothers and sisters in Christ, and I believe that Dan Cathy is a Christian. But I also think that our faith is based on Jesus, not any person or belief or words that we hear on earth; and the far greater issues often get clouded with the very tangible, present worries.

I am not sure if I will eat chicken next Wednesday, although I'm sure to eat some in the near future. Who could resist chicken fried in peanut oil, along with a good dose of conversation and Jesus's never ending love thrown in there?

No comments:

Post a Comment