Monday, July 30, 2012

Trust and Obey

We all have times in life when we feel that things are very uncertain. It may be jobs - which job to have or to take or to pursue? Or perhaps family issues - do we move closer to family, or have more kids or go back to work full-time? Maybe we just question the whole purpose and point of our lives - whether or not we are making a difference in anyone's life, or sincerely enjoying the season we are in.

This may or may not be one of those times in life for you. As for my family, we have quite a few things that we are considering right now, but nothing that is a currently happening. That means waiting. Praying. Thinking, considering, hoping, dreaming...doubting, worrying and questioning. It's funny, each time I think I've learned a little more about how to be patient as I wait on the Lord's plans, I realize very quickly that I still have a ways to go!

Tonight, as I tucked Luke into bed, I was thinking about a few of these big future question marks that we are facing. I started to sing Luke a familiar hymn, and then the words of another hymn just popped into my mind. I hadn't heard it in quite a while, and I think that God was reminding me of some very important truths. I hope that you enjoy these words from John H. Sammis:

When we walk with the Lord in the light of His Word,
What a glory He sheds on our way!
While we do His good will, He abides with us still,
And with all who will trust and obey.

  • Trust and obey, for there’s no other way
    To be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.

Proverbs 19:21 - "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purposes that prevail."

No comments:

Post a Comment