Friday, April 19, 2013

Invasion!!!

I feel like a prisoner in my own home. The invasion of the inch worms has begun! I have hoped against hope that this year would not be as bad as last year; but alas, my hopes were in vain. We are surrounded by these crazy bugs!

If you live in PA, you may liken these to the invasion of the stink bugs that often occurs there. Although these bugs don't sneak inside, they do tend to attach themselves to people and hair and travel in with us. These tiny, green, squishy inch worms - which eventually turn black and look even more disgusting! - spin silk strings that can reach over four feet long at a time. They have completely covered all the eves of our house; they are dangling from every tree and they squished (alive and dead) against our doors, windows, cars, and outside toys. Last year they completely defoliated a huge tree in our back yard, and it didn't grow its leaves back until July! I am hoping this doesn't happen again, but there is really nothing to do to stop them.

We can't play outside; the play set is covered in silk and worms. We can't eat outside; the pollen and worms are covering our table. I can't hang out my laundry; the worms will fall on it, and if they are accidentally smooshed they make a green stain! When I go outside, I seriously envision myself as Indiana Jones, walking through spider webs with arms outstretched, hoping that I won't be hit in the face with something. :)

I hope there are a lot of hungry birds around here!

No comments:

Post a Comment