Wednesday, April 3, 2013

sweet words

There is something so cute about kids using words incorrectly or pronouncing them in a funny way. It shows their innocence and also betrays their thought patterns. I think that's why parents with only older children love to hear little kids talk; it's a language that you never forget, but it doesn't stick around for long!

We have two children who love to talk (dont' know where they got that from!) They have been using funny words since their first birthdays, and Nathan and I almost never correct them when they are wrong. Our philosophy has basically been, "Why worry? They will learn it soon enough, and they will never be this young and cute again." Luke calls ambulances "anjubulancers" and Lydia calls a piano a "pianlo".

Now that Lydia is getting ready to go to school, we know that her days of "toddler" speech are quickly coming to an end, and it makes us sad. Still, we do see a reason to slowly correct some of her misunderstandings in speech, for the main reason that she isn't made fun of in school. So, the other day we were eating deer sausage at her grandparents' house, and we said it was venison. She said, "Medicine? Why are we eating that?" We corrected her and explained what venison was, but it just didn't make sense to her. She had no concept of the word. So, she kept insisting it was medicine and wasn't that a strange thing to eat?? :)

That night, when we had returned home, she was fixing her blankets on the lower bunk and she hit her head on the top bunk. She immediately said, "I guess that's why they are called bonk beds mom! I just bonked my head." (this is one of our favorite things she says!!) I decided it was maybe time to correct this little mistake, and I told her that they were actually bunk beds, like a bunk. She looked at me and said, "No, they are bonk beds. Bunk beds makes no sense."

I think she'll figure it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment