Thursday, September 8, 2011

Part II of my Camp Diary

While I was at camp, I realized that all the kids were split-up into "groups." I know this is pretty obvious, as they were teenagers, and that seems to just naturally happen. But as a young adult, looking back, I clearly recognized so many of these cliches:

- the nerds
- the jocks
- the popular kids
- the loners
- the people trying to fit in and be cool
- the music stars
- the cute boys and pretty girls
- the class clowns

You know what? I remember the exact same groups, and even the specific people who made-up those groups, in my school, and youth group, and Christian camp. I remember the cool boys and girls, who always looked in style and of course, were the only people hanging out co-ed. :) I remember the loners who didn't seem to care what was going on; they just sat around and wrote in notebooks all day long. I remember the jocks who were great at EVERY sport, and made me never want to try a group game. I remember the girls who every boy liked; and yet, they never seemed to like any one boy.

And I remember the mediocre, middle of the road people - like me. I'm sure I fit into a few groups - music stars, nerds, and occasionally the desperate person trying to be cool. But usually I as just there; observing the people around me and enjoying my friends. I feel fortunate for the type of person I was - and for my many, many good Christian friends who stuck with me.

Seeing all these characters from the past  made me wonder who my children will grow-up to be. What type of teenager, and eventually adult, will they become? Will they be a nerd, or a music star, or a sports person? Will they feel confident in themselves and become the leader of the group, or will they always be a follower who's super quiet.

Are any of these things bad? I don't necessarily think so......I know that God can and does use all kinds of people. I don't want my children to be left out or lonely, but I guess that's not something I can actually "do". I can pray about it - and I can pray for Christian friends for my children too. Friends who accept them for who they are, and also CHALLENGE them to become more. Because we can all become more than our little labels say we are.....even as adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment