As a mom, I'm always looking for some quick dinner ideas. I have to say that I almost always go to "Fix It and Forget It", a slow cooker recipe book that I LOVE! There are so many awesome recipes in it - and they are organized by the type of meat, or veggie, so you an just say, "I have chicken. Let's make something with chicken." I can have the meal in the crock pot by 10AM, and at 5:30PM I am ready to eat. Easy!!
But, on the weekends, I don't even feel like messing with that. I do make real meals on the weekend sometimes.....but I've been partial to a few quick and easy favorites over the past few weeks. Plus, they are CHEAP, MEAT FREE and KID FRIENDLY. What could be better??!!
1. Chips and cheese with salsa: melt grated cheese on tortilla chips and top with salsa, or any other toppings you like. To make it extra special, broil the chips in the oven. :)
2. Pizza Sandwiches: make it just like a grilled cheese, but use mozzarella cheese and add tomato sauce inside the sandwich. If you have a hankering for pizza, this is the easiest route to go!
3. Breakfast: scrambled eggs, pancakes, french toast - they are all winners for the family. And you can always use Bisquick and make the prep even easier. Make a huge batch and freeze half of them for the next weekend. :)
4. Crudites bar: Big salads or a variety of veggie sticks makes-up this dinner. "Dip" is always a big plus. This encourages kids, and adults, to eat their veggies - add a little cheese, and a few crackers, and voila - a delicious and filling dinner!
Now of course, with each of these dinners, I don't just serve the one item. I try to make sure that there is a fruit, or veggie, added to each meal. You can make it as easy as opening a can of mandarin oranges, or breaking open a bag of carrot sticks. Yogurt and cottage cheese are also a great addition to any quick meal.
Man! - what would I do without pre-packaged food on the weekends??!!! Oh yea....I'd have to COOK!
No comments:
Post a Comment