Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Searching for Good Meat

I am on the hunt for meat...but unfortunately I am not literally hunting. If I was, all I would need would be one (or two if I was my BIL) nice fat does, and I would be set with my meat for the year. Healthy, homegrown, natural, non-processed meat. Sounds simple, doesn't it? However, it is not simple, or easy to buy, or close by or inexpensive to find a healthy meat option for my family. And I have to say, that really bothers me!
What am I looking for? Some poultry, pork and/or beef that is raised on a natural diet, not given hormones or antibiotics and not infused with tons of chemicals to keep it for months in the store. Some of you are thinking that cuts out a whole lot of options - yes, that is true. No bacon, no sausage, no processed meat of any kind....and dare I say no hot dogs??!!! Well, let me put your mind at ease. We still eat these things, and probably always will. I do not plan to become a total meat snob, or a full-time veggie. But my goal for my family is two fold when it comes to meat in our diet:

1. To just limit our overall meat intake each day. Did you know that the recommended meat portion for an ADULT per DAY is only 4-6oz!!?? That is much smaller than even I serve at meals, and I make our meat really stretch. My plan is to keep taking meat out, and substituting beans, veggies and other forms of protein (yes, even tofu) instead of meat at lunch and dinner.

2. To find healthy, local meat providers and plan out specific meat meals. I have done some research on the internet, and I have also visited a few stores. Here is what I've found so far:
- Trader Joe's has the best price (aside from sale prices at other stores) for organic and the "all natural" chicken. They told me that the "all natural" doesn't use antibiotics, and the only difference from the organic chicken is what they eat.
- The Stock Market in Concord, although advertised as a butcher type store, does not carry local/organic meats. At least, this is what I could derive from the ill-knowledged clerk and the very grumpy butcher. I assumed that if they did sell these types of meats, it would be very well advertised.
- At the Kannapolis year round farmers market, in downtown Kannapolis every Thursday 3-5pm, there is at least one meat stand. (There is also a fresh fish stand) The meat came from Yow's farm, about an hour away. It was frozen, ground-up and in air tight packaging. The woman at the stand told me that it was a 3rd generation meat farm, and they fed their cows the same mash that they had for the past 3 generations. They do not use hormones or antibiotics. The price was about twice as much as an "on sale" price for ground beef, but I planned on using it for less meals, so I think the cost will even out.
- I have yet to visit a store called "what's ur beef" in South Charlotte, simply because it is so far away. It looks like they offer local meat selections, but that's just what I'm assuming from the website. I plan to call them before visiting.
- investing in a quarter of a cow?? Haven't found a local farm that does this yet....

As I said before, this is just the beginning of my investigation into how we can eat healthy meat. This is what I feel is best for my family, and I do not judge others who don't agree with me. I also, as stated before, do not plan to eliminate processed meats from my diet forever. I love bacon. I just ate some pepperoni at lunch. But I am excited about the new ways that I can provide my family with protein, and sometimes healthy meat, to keep them growing. I think God has given us many many healthy options to eat, but sometimes we humans just mess them up a little bit. So an overall back to the basics, eat as much fresh/local/green as I can is the best that I can do for us now. Just a little bit at a time.

1 comment:

  1. http://eatwild.com/products/nocarolina.html

    Found this and thought you might be interested.

    -katy

    ReplyDelete