Saturday, May 26, 2012

Greener Grass

This post is a follow-up post to my "10 Reasons to Become Amish". As I wrote that list, I was actually mentally going through the negative side of each "positive" that I wrote down.

Ex: "You never have to go clothing shopping again" - well, I like to shop and I think wearing a pair of shorts is not inappropriate.
Ex: "You get to live on a farm" - farming is hard work, with no insurance, no vacation days, and you support yourself.
And so on.......

My mind is so good at pointing out the greener grass in someone else's lawn. For example, "Gosh, if only I lived as a missionary in a foreign country, then I could be closer to God and serve Him without worrying about all this American culture!" And again, "If only I was more like (name a person who looks to have it all together). Then I would be a better wife, a better mom and so much more content.

Please don't tell me I"m the only one who's ever been looking over the fence. There are a few people's lawns that I look into, and I see just dead, brown grass. For a minute I think, phew! At least my lawn does't look like that. But then I find a beautiful, luscious green lawn down the street, and I'm comparing and wishing again.

If you didn't know, this phenomenon actually has a name - sin. Coveting, jealousy and assuming that I know the best thing for my life, not God. The truth is that these things are part of every human being; it's our nature to want what other's have. But the Bible says that when we trust in Christ, we put on a new self and throw away the old. I need to keep putting it back in the garbage can sometimes.

It's actually quite funny when I stop to think about what I am saying sometimes. Yes, I wish I was a foreign missionary because I know a few really neat, totally together families who are serving around the world. Guess what? They don't get to see their families - ever. They don't have the freedoms and fun things that I do here in the US. They still have children that don't sleep and marital arguments and doubts about their lives - oh yes they do! I have absolutely no doubt that they are looking over their fence and saying, "My goodness. Look at their green grass. Oh isn't it beautiful and perfectly manicured. I wish I was over there!"

That's the whole point. The grass IS always greener on the other side. No matter which side you are on. It's all about your attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment