Wednesday, May 30, 2012

I want comfort

I'd like to admit something to everyone - including myself. I want to be comfortable. I love comfort. If I have the choice between doing something that is difficult or new or not very fun, and something that I know is a cool, easy time, I will choose option B. ALWAYS. Even if you don't see me doing it, I'm still wishing for it in my head.

Am I the only one who feels this way? I certainly hope not......well, I know that I'm not. I've had this conversation with my father-in-law and my husband and other friends too many times, to think that I'm the only one who truly feels this way. But gosh, it's an overwhelming reality sometimes.

So many times I feel like I am really good at doing uncomfortable things - especially when I'm "doing" them for God. Starting a new mom's group at church, going on a missions trip, befriending someone who's down, talking to the new couple, blah, blah, blah. Deep down inside, I don't really have fun doing these things most of the time. Now, that's not saying I don't feel fulfilled and see the ultimate benefit, but do I naturally want to do them? Nope. Not at all.

What I want to do is stay in my little house, with my cute little kids and watch TV and eat cookies all day. I don't want to go out and fellowship with others (most of the time) and I don't want to have to work. I certainly don't want to go to awkward, intimate Bible studies or have conversations about real life with family or friends. I don't want to take time to read my Bible or stretch my dollars so I can stay home with my kids. No, no, no. I want lots of money, good food, extra shopping money, a babysitter once a week, a larger house and a promise that I'll never ever ever have to be uncomfortable again.

Hmmm.....I don't seem to remember that promise in the Bible anywhere.

But there are these verses:

"Do nothing out of selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves...have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus who...emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant , and being made in the likeness of men..humbled himself..even to death on a cross." Philippians 2:3-8

"He who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for my sake will find it." Matthew 10:38,39

"In this world you will have trouble. But take comfort, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Jesus didn't have a very comfortable life. He grew-up poor and learned a physically demanding trade. The Bible says he wasn't handsome, he wasn't the life of the party, and oh yea - He had to share the most important, yet most contradictory to the human nature message that had ever been shared. Wow, I'm sure he was wishing for a little comfort in His life too. We know he fully understood our thoughts and feelings and desire to be comfortable and happy in life; yet, He choose to show us a better way.

So, what is the better way? I'm not necessarily saying it means I have to be poor or sick or unhappy all the time. Please, don't misunderstand me. But, does it mean I'll be uncomfortable in life - probably even a lot? Yes, I think so. I'm not sure what uncomfortable means for my family (or me) right now. I'm not sure if it means moving to East Asia, or giving-up personal time for ministries or just working hard in my family. I'm not sure. But I do know I am going to have to fight the desire to just claim "comfort" every day. Starting today.


No comments:

Post a Comment