Saturday, December 8, 2012

Luke becomes a man

I like men. I mean, I appreciate the male gender and all of their.... differences. If the world was filled with women, it would be a guilt ridden, gossiping, schedule driven place. But, if the world was filled with all men, they wouldn't be able to find a thing. No judging; just saying - I have never met a man that was a good "seeker" of lost, or even properly placed items. In this regard, I feel like Luke is 2 going on 25 right now. He is officially the worst "looker" or "finder" in the entire world. The past few days have truly amazing as I have watched him become very "male" in this aspect of his character.

For example, he has no idea where he sets down his drink cup - even if it was 10 seconds ago. This is typical for all kids, but extreme with Luke. Also, we can tell him where to look for a toy, in a specific 5 ft X 5ft area, and he will look like this:  turning in circles while staring into space, or putting his head between his legs. Seriously. Then the other day, he asked where his yellow dump truck was. We told him, and showed him, that it was parked in the same place as usual. He literally took 30 seconds staring at the truck, saying, "where is it? I don't see it." I was almost worried...

But the best story of the whole week is as follows:  Nathan put his wallet, keys and phone on the couch as we were getting ready to run. When he came out of the bathroom, Luke was pulling his cards out of his wallet. After getting him in trouble, Nathan noticed that his credit card was missing. We asked Luke where it was, and he said as usual, "I don't know." Then he started to "lead" us to places that he thought he had put it....the couch....the top of the mantel where he can't reach....the toy box three rooms away from the wallet. Nathan was quite upset, and then I realized something - I think we left it at the restaurant the night before. It would be quite odd for Nathan to forget it, but we scoured the living room and Luke really hadn't moved with the wallet in his hand. The more we thought about it, we agreed that it had never made it home; and Luke was off the hook. So, in a way, you could say that his lack of being able to find something, actually helped us to "find out" we were missing an important item.

Well, if he just isn't the luckiest little boy alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment