Saturday, December 15, 2012

thoughts on 12/14/12

The news of the shooting yesterday has really hit me hard. Maybe it's because I'm a pregnant mom, or because we have been discussing where my daughter will be going to kindergarden next year; but I just can't seem to get the stories and images and thoughts out of my brain. I keep thinking of Lydia in that class, and I keep mourning with the parents who were told "there are no survivors."

Why? There is no answer. Maybe that's what makes it so hard to understand and digest. If there's a crazy person that hurts them self, you can say "well, it was because...." - but when a person kills innocent human beings, and CHILDREN, there is no reasoning. No way to even remotely explain what happened.

There is only one thing to say - Christ is near. Christ is real and he sees, and knows and mourns with every death of a child that HE created. I do not believe He caused this to happen - He knew it would happen, but man's sinful heart is what causes things like this to happen. Events like this cause me to remember how truly sinful and evil man is in our core.

But these are not the "christian" things that you tell the parents who are mourning right now. We must mourn with them. These are not "christian" sentiments that completely ease my fear of sending Lydia to school, or my sudden wariness as I go to public places and large public gatherings. There is no shame in having a healthy concern for my family's safety - because apparently it is very warranted.

No, the words "Christ is near and Christ is real" are a fact. Plain and simple. The last and final, solid comfort in this world. And that's it. There's nothing else that compares or is as completely truth filled as that knowledge. I don't think these horrific events will ever cease, or even diminish in my lifetime. They will only continue and grow. But, Christ is near. Christ is real, and He cares.

In the words of the song writer, Ben Shive :
" He will rise up in the end, He will rise up in the end.
I know the night seems long, but morning soon will come;
He will rise up in the end."

No comments:

Post a Comment