Tuesday, March 5, 2013

First School Visit

On Monday, Nathan and I got to observe a kindergarden classroom at the public school that Lydia is slated to go to. A couple of people had encouraged us to do this, hoping that it would really help us to feel at ease with sending her to public school.....or really really turn us off to the idea.

I am happy to say that it was a very good experience. Go Kannapolis Schools! The woman who met with us was extremely kind and helpful - she answered ALL of my silly, stupid and uninformed questions - and she was from State College PA. It was like finding an instant friend. Plus, she knew that  the questions and concerns were more for us than for our child. She was right in that thinking. :)

The classroom was really neat. The teacher was wonderful (I hope she gets that one!) and I know that Lydia would be just fine going into that class, even at her age right now. The main point was that it would be a normal, perhaps even extra good, public school experience. And as many of my friends and teacher acquaintances have pointed out, it's all about what you make it.

But I would not be honest if I did not include the part of the story where I almost lost it just walking around the school. As the woman gave us a tour and led us down the kindergarden hallway, I had a huge lump in my throat and my eyes started tearing up. I almost started crying. Nathan kept giving me sad looks as we observed the kids, and kept saying, "I don't want our baby to go." No matter how wonderful the school is, it's just never going to be good enough. Safe enough. Happy enough. Clean enough. It's just not perfect for our perfect girl.

Guess that's why we are only the parents, and God is the keeper of the whole big plan. I'm sure He's got it covered.

No comments:

Post a Comment