Lately I've been doing so many things that I said I'd never do. Most of them are related to parenting, and mainly refer to my son. The idea to list them out came to me the other day when I was in Walmart, and my child was screaming and crying like I've never seen. Granted, he was very tired and very hungry - I really shouldn't have shopped at that time. But I did. And so to pacify him, I got a box of graham crackers and opened them. My children devoured half the box before we paid for it.
I said I'd never do that.
I also said I'd never.......
- feed my children sweets under 1 year old. I think our family intake of sweets if just growing exponentially - why not include Luke?
- let my children watch TV under 2 years old. As I posted before, TV is just part of our lives right now. Although Lydia is watching less and less with the nice weather, and with Luke only nursing 2x now.
- allow my children to crawl around in the mud and grass and sidewalk. Well, Luke was crawling on the cement today in front of church and people kept giving me weird looks. He wants to get around and explore......clothes wash pretty well, I've learned.
- feed my children any processed food - like hotdogs, chicken nuggets, canned fruit, etc. I'm pretty sure Luke has had hotdogs 3 times in the past 2 weeks. :)
- let Lydia wear her dress-up dress all day long. We don't do this often, because I think she needs to know how to look presentable too. But seriously, she looks SO cute!
-I'm sure there's more.....I might add on later!
And yes, for all of you who know me well - most of these things show a huge growth in ME. I am releasing some "control" as a mother and just learning to loosen-up a little bit. A little. :) That's a good thing I think!
You are a brave woman putting this, not only on paper, but on the web! Thank you for being honest with us. I don't think I could write my list down but you def make me feel better about the choice i've made in the last year or so. sometimes us moms gotta do what we gotta do!!! thanks again for the frankness so all us other moms can feel better!!!
ReplyDeleteI read this after serving my child a hotdog for lunch and feeling kind of guilty about it. I've only ever given them to him 4 or 5 times ever and know it won't kill him, but again it's those things we tell ourselves we won't do. Somehow I try justify it in my head by saying, "hmm well I served it with green beans, a clementine, and string cheese and those are good for him." haha.
ReplyDelete