Hmmm.....this may take me a little while to write, because I'm not really sure. I ask myself this same question every time I set out on a run.
For some people there's an easy answer - to lose weight, to win a race, to play for a team, to improve their time....nope, not really any one of those things encompasses why I run. I guess I should give a little bit of my running history first. The first time I ran was in track, 9th grade. I did the 100 meter dash. Yes, I am a bit white for that. :) And quite honestly, I didn't enjoy it very much. But I continued with track until I was kicked off the team at the end of 11th grade........absolutely no comments.........and I moved up to the 200m, the 400m and the 4X1 and 4X4 relays. I never really liked running. I think I enjoyed it most when I was most in shape - big surprise there! During the summer before 12th grade I had worked-up to about 4 mi. every day. I felt great! And I ran my longest run ever, 6 mi., without missing a beat.
Sooo......fast forward a few years. I have run off and on throughout college and post-college years. I tend to run much less in the winter, and well, having babies takes a little out of me too. I have mainly run by myself, and have never joined any type of running team since 11th grade. I honestly would describe my relationship with running as very love/hate. I really don't enjoy it, but I still keep doing it. Why??
1. I do enjoy being in shape and fit. I am a naturally thinner person, but there's a huge difference in being thin and being in shape. I think it's cool to be in shape.
2. Nathan now runs with me sometimes, and it's a nice way to relax, connect, and take the kids outside (we push them in the double jogger). It is much nicer having a partner to run with!!!
3. There's this thing inside me that won't let me stop permanently - or at least, I'd have to find another sport/exercise. Sports are huge parts of many people's lives, and I think it makes me more of a well-rounded person.
4. You can really eat just about anything you want to when you're running pretty consistently. No need to pass on the dessert. I love dessert.
5. Lastly, my last name is Hardenbrook. Let's be serious here. There may be no Hardenbrook blood running through my veins - BUT - I am part of the family, and will always be so! My father has been a XC coach in 3 states, my SIL ran until she was 9 mo. pregnant, my husband and BIL both won medals at the county, district, and state levels of XC and track.
DO I REALLY HAVE A CHOICE? :)
I guess I do.....and for now, I'll choose to keep running. Little by little, pushing two kids, and increasing my total time by a couple of minutes each week.
No comments:
Post a Comment