I think I am ready to get rid of my diaper bag. Not forever, because I think we will have more kids, but for now. It's another step toward having "non-baby" kids; kind of like getting rid of the crib or the high chair (both of which I plan to do as Luke turns 2) The question is, what do I start carrying now? For the past 1.5 years, I have been using my diaper bag as a bag for Lydia, Luke and myself. It includes, but is not contained to, diapers, wipes, changes of clothes, utensils, bibs, toys, books, sanitizer, wallet, phone, chapstick, brush, etc.
Now that Luke is well on his way to being diaper free, I feel that it is a great time to get rid of the bulky, old and dirty diaper bag and exchange it for something else. Here are my options:
1. Go cold turkey and pretty much not carry a "stocked" bag - bring what we need each time we go out. I would also have to have a purse of my own to carry my wallet, etc in....and let's be honest. I'd forget half of the things that I would need. That's why my current diaper bag is such a monster - I'd rather be prepared than not have something. :)
2. Transition to a smaller "tote" bag, into which I could throw a diaper/change of clothes, their hats, snacks or anything else they may need for the outting. But would I need to bring a purse for myself too, or should I just make a permanent spot in this bag for my stuff too? It might start to get big as well.
3. Just bring my purse, and stock it with baby essentials as well. At least I'd look cool, but this idea just makes me sad to think that one of my only trendy wardrobe items would be sacrificed for kid stuff. I think I'd rather keep it for my special date nights and make myself feel good.
And the winner is.........#2. I guess. Although I like to be prepared for anything, we really don't use much of what we have in our diaper bag anymore. As kids grow-up, they learn to adapt without their little crutches like books to keep them distracted, extra snacks and bibs. They can do it and so can I!
I have a diaper bag for Isaac, but for the boys, I just use my large expandable purse. Besides my wallet and chapstick and phone, it's basically just got two cars, wipes, a few packs of fruit snacks, the EpiPen. Everything else I keep in the car...pull ups, extra underwear, diapers, disposable bibs, plastic silverware that I swiped from Chick-Fil-A. My purse is big enough that if I need one of those extra things, I can just shove it in the purse for a few minutes. If you keep the car stocked, you could pick out whatever cute purse you wanted!!
ReplyDelete