I have never really been interested in sewing. My mom feels like it is the one "essential skill" that she didn't instill in me very well - she knows how to make curtains, clothing, you name it. But really Mom, I just wasn't interested. I know how to sew on a button....if I can't convince Nathan to do it. And I know how to do the different kinds of stitches....if I can remember them from 7th grade Home Economics. I tried crocheting once, but my baby blanket looked like a dying scarf, so I quit. A few people have suggested that I ask for a sewing machine...but why? I really can't even thread it.
Now I am wishing that I had shown even a little more interest in the whole sewing thing, because man - it would be a great skill to have! I always envision homemade clothing as very plain or, well, homemade looking. But I have a few friends who have knitted the cutest hats and gloves or created curtains and chair cushions that are adorable! Plus, being able to hem-up some pants from Goodwill or create a little matching vest would be oh so useful. Not to mention, with our new family hobby of reenacting, sewing is almost essential. If the option is to either buy a pre-made outfit online for a couple hundred dollars, or sew one....you KNOW what I will choose. Even if I can't sew!
What made me really want to write this entry is the fact that I have finally come to a point in my life where I want to sew. It actually sounds fun. I have some free nights to myself with Nathan's new schedule, and I am trying to think of something to do that doesn't involve watching TV or surfing the web all night. Guess what I thought of? Sewing! Maybe I can make some cute cross-stitch things or even pick-up knitting. It would be a good feeling to be able to show off something I made. Then maybe I can teach Lydia how to do it for me. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment