Tuesday, January 31, 2012

a car ride

I am writing this post in an attempt to immortalize one of the most repetitive times of mommyhood - car rides. I know that, right now, what I am about to say is boring, normal, and sometimes quite annoying. But in a few short years, I will be alone in my car for most of the day and just wishing that I had some cute little person to talk to and converse with.

So, here is what usually happens:
By the time we get INTO the car - which is a minimum of 45 minutes from the time that we say "let's get going" until the time we are pulling - we are usually rushing to our intended destination. Not because I am always late, but because I have 2 kids and it takes forever to get anywhere. (what would I do with 3?! :)

Once everyone is finally strapped in and safe, the bombardment of requests/complaints begins.
- "Can you turn on the music?" - it is ALWAYS Veggie Tales Backyard Party (thanks Aunt Libby!) and even Luke knows how to say "Veg Tale"
- "Luke won't give me that toy!" - how do you referee fights when you are trying to be a safe driver? I hate to admit that safety usually gets downgraded.....but I'm being honest. I am now trying to just tell Lydia that she has to work it out. They are both getting old enough to come to an agreement verbally.
- "Luke/Lydia won't hold my hand!" - this one is almost funny, it is so ridiculous. First Lydia starts by asking Luke to hold her hand - how sweet. He usually refuses, and I tell him to say "no thank you". Then Lydia gets very upset and pouty (sometimes Luke gives in, and it's the CUTEST thing ever to watch them holding hands) Exactly five minutes later, Luke asks "Wydi, han" (Lydia, can you hold my hand) She promptly refuses and he keeps asking, and asking, and asking. I remind her how she felt a mere five minutes ago, and that sometimes fixes the problem. :)
- "Can we play cashier" - if I never had to play cashier again in my life, I would be SO happy. I have to play cashier every time we are going home from a store, and Lydia requests an actual bag of groceries and a receipt to play with. Now, do I have to say yes? No, not really.....but some crazy mother part of me usually does, and then I have to drive while saying, "I'd like..." and "here's my credit card..." and "thanks, have a nice day!" Luke has also joined in, and he "scans" his play books for two doddars.  ha ha!

One last piece of icing for the car cake is Luke's new potty training experience. The best piece of baby/child equipment we have ever bought was the small, $3, green plastic potty from IKEA. We use it in the car ALL the time, and now that we have to stop often for Luke, we use it even more. Usually about half way to our destination, Luke says "pee pee" - to which we say, hold it! But he's in underwear and I'd rather not have the smell of urine in my car for days.

 So, we pull off and put him on the potty.....all the while Lydia is trying to sell me something out of her toy box... and the Veggie Tales are singing "eating Root, Root, Rootbeer and Cheese Curls." As we pull back onto the highway, Lydia tells me that they were singing "Cheese Pearls" and she refuses to believe that they weren't. That's ok - we'll discuss it again tomorrow, no doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment