Last weekend we got to participate in our first official re-enactment camping experience, and we were part of our first re-enactment "event". It was a fabulous weekend, full of eating, playing, sun and chill, very little sleep and did I mention - a campfire!! Fun was had by all, and I'd like to share a little bit about what we did while we were there.
When we first arrived on Friday afternoon, we helped to set-up camp. This included learning how to set-up a Civil War era "A frame" tent, and trying to fit all of our stuff into that tiny space. Not to mention setting-up the cots and then covering everything to make it look period correct. Well, we tried anyways....a Pack N Play is very hard to cover.
About that time I realized that I had forgotten my period correct shirt. So, I had a choice - wear a sleeveless camisole and be exposed to shame and ridicule by the entire Confederate Army - OR, go to the great sutler called Walmart and look for something to wear. I chose the later. After I returned, we enjoyed our first meal over the campfire - grilled cheese sandwhiches. It may sound simple, but cooking in a cast iron skillet over an open flame is not that easy. Suffice it to say, I was VERY proud of the final product; it was crisped into a beautiful golden brown. Of course, by this late point in the evening (8pm!) the kids were waiting for anything to eat, and their excitement was just about to bubble over. I didn't even attempt to put them to bed until it was dark outside, and that was around 9:30pm.
The kids actually went to sleep very well; better than they do at home sometimes! I, on the other hand, could not fall asleep - something about being 2 feet from the campfire was bothering me - and I was FREEZING! Like, my feet turned white in the middle of the night. I guess that's what happens when you give all the warm stuff to the kids; at least they slept the whole night. I actually pulled Luke into my 1.5 ft by 5 ft cot and sleeping bag to try and keep myself warm. That worked for a few restless hours, but then he woke-up completely and started crying, so I laid him back down. I think I slept somewhat from 4am - 6am.....I think.
The morning dawned bright and early, and luckily others had not slept well and were up early too! :) We made scrambled eggs for breakfast and Lydia couldn't wait to help with her period correct apron on. Then we set out for a day of playing sword fights, seeing how many times we could use the privies, and in general making a mess of things and places. Luke loved being with older boys, and so did Lydia. ha ha We got to observe our first re-enactment battle and Luke joined in all the other boys by shooting his toy gun into the battle. What a little supporter of our troops!
All in all, it was a fabulous first experience. I have a huge list of things that I have to bring next time, or I just don't know how I will bear it. Number one being more blankets, of course. The kids loved a day of being outside and I loved a day with no chores or modern conveniences to bother me. Plus, a day in a hoop skirt makes any girl feel quite fancy. The only thing that would have made the day better would have been if Nathan - my dear husband - would have been there with us. He has been a prisoner of the Union Army for the past 6 months, and I pray God that he will be returned to us soon.

No comments:
Post a Comment