Monday, April 30, 2012

Craftiness Kills

Lydia is super into making crafts. She is either coloring, glueing, cutting, stringing beads, making a card or creating something else crafty at almost all hours of the day. When she wakes-up, she thinks of a craft to make. During "nap time", she is usually creating something. As I get dinner ready, she's at the table with crayons in her hand. It's like a never ending craft bazaar at our house these days.

Of course Luke also wants to join in with various projects. He loves markers, and is actually rather good at keeping them on the paper. He has also discovered the joy of scissors; but he needs someone to hold the paper (and watch their fingers) for him. Stamps are also a favorite, but they usually end-up on something other than the paper. Lydia is very sweet with him, and usually - USUALLY- shares with a willing and gentle heart.

I have to say that lately we have had many reasons to create cards and gifts. Birthdays, babies being born, Mother's Day coming-up; they all require a special little something to be sent from my little girl and boy. Lydia is more than happy to supply me with handmade mementoes and pictures, people, words, numbers, jewelry.....well, you get the point. There are really only two bad points to her creativity, and here they are:

1. Clean-up: I can't seem to get her to understand that the more you take out, the more you'll have to clean-up. And big crafts take lots of stuff!!!

2. Storage: What in the world am I to do with all these creations!!?? I, of course, save the best and cutest (and that's hard to pick out sometimes!), but then there are still about 10 pages of scribble and glitter glue left on the table at the end of the day. I admit, I put them in the recycling at undisclosed times during the week. But I have also found another great way of getting rid of them- giving them away.  Sooo, if we come to visit you soon, except a lovely handmade gift. Or two. Or five.

Don't worry, I won't be offended if you throw them away. But please, for Lydia's sake, recycle them. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment