Thursday, March 24, 2011

Books!

I love reading for many many reasons - first of all, it's fun! What could be better than immersing yourself in a cozy novel for hours....or minutes...at nap time or bed time? :) Secondly, it's good for my brain. I learn so much in the areas of history, language, theology, culture, etc. Thirdly, it's a way to challenge myself as an intellectual. As a stay at home mom, sometimes I don't speak to a grown-up for more than a few minutes from 7am-5pm; so I find reading is a great way to keep myself sharp. Or, at least less dull. :)

I have created a little system to my book selection, and I TRY to hold myself accountable. I attempt to read something that is non-fiction, perhaps on the recommendation of Nathan, a family member, or something related to parenting. Then I allow myself, because I do see it as a relaxing reward, to read some kind of fiction. Although I will stop this at any point if a new book in a series comes out and I can snag it from the library. (I am currently looking for book 3 in latest Beverly Lewis and book 12 in the latest Bodie and Brock Thoene)

Here are my past few reads:
- "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan (book that I read for Nathan)
- "Mansfield Park" by Jane Austen (it's was a challenge with the language and stuff, but super fun!)
- "Predator" by Terri Blackstock (done in 2.5 days)
and now I'm onto "Bringing Up Boys" by James Dobson. I am reading this because of how much "boy" I am starting to see in Luke - and it scares me! Plus, I've heard it's a great book, and I want to read the girl version sometime soon too. Also, I'll just admit, I haven't actually read many parenting books in full.

So, I know there are lots of you out there who love to read:  what are you reading these days???

Book suggestions???

2 comments:

  1. Captivating by John and Stasi Eldridge, Created to be His Helpmeet by Debi Pearl, Forgotten God by Francis Chan, Bringing Up Girls by Dobson, To Train Up a Child by Michael and Debi Pearl :) Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I'm reading now...
    Wicked - Gregory Maguire (weird but good)
    Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands - Paul David Tripp (about personal ministry/lay counseling)
    Keep a Quiet Heart - Elisabeth Elliot (as a sort of devotional)

    ReplyDelete