Well, if you're a parent, you'll be able to relate to this post no doubt. I have yet to meet a parent that does not have something negative to say about teething - and that in itself shows how yucky it is! (there are usually about 50 different opinions on every parenting topic) Unlike my friend's pediatrician, who told her that teething is a natural process that doesn't bother or hurt the kids, we all know that it is a tough stage of babyhood!
Luke just got a tooth last week. As is usual for my kids, he has gotten up at random hours throughout the night for the past month, cried FOREVER, and wanted to nurse more often than usual. Luckily, we know by this point that our children go through crazy sleep cycles every time they get a tooth. It only took us 2.5 years to realize this with Lydia, and to not freak out every time she started waking in the middle of the night. :) In retrospect, I think to myself "It's really not that bad. We're back to normal now." But it is never "ok" when you are dealing with a cranky, teething child in the middle of the night - especially when you have no idea when this crazy cycle will stop. I am thankful that my kids usually do not have diarrhea or fevers or general all day irritability...... but unfortunately, even all that stuff is considered "normal" during teething. I have stopped judging people when they use the excuse of "oh, they're teething" to explain away their child's behavior - because, guess what? It's probably true...at least partially. :)
Luke has 5 teeth now. That means only 11 more to go + 4 two year molars. I can start counting down by 1.5 year increments. Goodie. I do feel bad for the babies, I really do. It looks painful. But goodness, it's painful for the parents too!
One funny note to end this post - I think Luke is going to be a dentist. He is obsessed with our mouths and our teeth; he just wants to touch them and play with them. Perhaps he will invent some kind of medicine to alleviate the whole teething problem once and for all!
No comments:
Post a Comment