As a parent it's inevitable that, at least one time in your life, you will end-up comparing your child(ren) to other children that you see. I do this quite often, I will admit. It is NOT a good thing - and I'm seriously working on it.
It usually starts like this: I put a label on my child. They are the "type A" child, and will never ever be the "type B" child. Not true...I don't know that, and I can't say I have ultimate control over their lives. Also, I tend to feel guilty when my child does not seem to be the same as all the rest. Perhaps I are not doing a good job parenting? Perhaps I should be doing something differently? Thirdly, I start to feel jealously toward other parents, friends even, about how good their children are and how bad mine seem to be! (not to mention, how do you think my kids feel about this? they notice more than I think!)
But being in all the kid-friendly circles of life, I see a variety of children and their different personalities and character traits, and I think these things. Nathan and I wonder:
when will our kids sleep through the night? THEY had a 4 week old sleeping through the night!
will he ever learn that we do nap time every day? THEY have a 4 year old that still asks for naps!
why doesn't he play with puzzles and draw in coloring books? THEY have a child that knows how to write her name at 2!
why is he so picky? THEY have children who have been eating like a horse from birth!
And then a few months ago, I was given a great piece of advice by a wise, old man. (It was my father-in-law; he's not old at all, just wise) "EVERY CHILD HAS THEIR THING." Hmm.....that's a great point. So not every kid is going to have sleep issues like ours; but they may have food or potty or other issues. Not every child is going to be a stinker at age 2; but they may have a challenging year at age 5. Not every infant has crazy night time screaming, but every parent has challenging times with their infant.
Nathan and I have pondered and pondered this thought - and you know what? It has helped us to stop comparing. And be thankful for our kids. And give sincere listening ears to other parents and their plights. And not compare. And to not wish away hard times. But to learn from them. And be thankful. God certainly knows what we can withstand, and what we need to grow and learn as parents - and really, isn't that the cool part of parenting? We learn so much more about ourselves than we ever thought possible.
No comments:
Post a Comment