Having my mom visit me over the past week has reminded me of a certain bond that grows between a mother and a daughter. It's a tenuous bond; one that can be so strong, you can't seem to escape it - and yet one that has to be stretched and pulled and changed over the years. I used to be my mother's little girl - her first baby - but now I'm a mother too, and an adult. And so the way we interact, and relate, is constantly growing and changing.
There are always the things that bother you about a person that is super close to you - it's knowing their faults that causes the annoyances. I'm sure she dreads certain things about coming to visit me - the way I do wash, or get up early, the way I leave all my dishes stacked......for her to do them, of course! :) And guess what, we're not the same people - never will be - and our mothering styles are different too.
But what I really noticed this past visit, were all the ways that we are similar.
-We both hate the cold (a loud laugh from anyone who knows me or my mom)
- We both love a good deal....and spent quite a few hours shopping winter clearance over the past week.
- We both can't bring ourselves to spend money on even clearance items for ourselves - eerrrr!!! This one bothers me!
- We both love a good home cooked meal (but we now have different ideals about how important it is)
- We both can see a practical need and find a way to fill it - Mom helped me watch other people's kids over her vacation.
- We both enjoy some good company and fulfilling conversations......poor Nathan
- We both enjoy a girl's night out - but hey! I thought the younger one was supposed to be able to stay-up later! :)
It's just so interesting to me to see all the ways we are alike. Even when I don't agree with something she's saying, I can literally still UNDERSTAND why she's saying it and see her point. We have very similar personalities, we are alike in our styles and tastes, and well, I guess we even look alike. I cannot wait to see how Lydia and I evolve in our relationship together as well......but I hope it is as positive as my relationship with my mom.
No comments:
Post a Comment